Waste Disposal


Garbage, Recycling, Yard Waste, Compost

Johnson County Refuse Inc.; Steve & Kandy Smith, owners

PO Box 200, North Liberty, IA 52317; 319-665-4498


·       As of July 2019, garbage and recycling services will change to a cart service system, and will be billed on your City of Iowa City water bill. 

·       Pick up is Tuesday morning. Place carts at the curb between 3pm Monday and 6:30am Tuesday; remove carts from the curb by the end of the day on Tuesday.


Garbage: one 65-gallon garbage cart for all garbage materials.

·       Place garbage in tied bags inside cart.

·       The cart lid must be closed.

·       No garbage stickers are needed for bags inside the cart.

·       For any additional bag of trash (up to 35 gallons, 40-pound weight limit) that does not fit in the trash cart, you will need a pink $3 single-use garbage sticker. Place the tagged bag on top of the closed lid of the cart. As of July 1, 2019, the yellow garbage tag will no longer be valid.

·       Purchase the pink garbage stickers at Fareway Grocery off of Mormon Trek, $3 for 1 sticker. 


Single Stream Recycling: one 65-gallon cart for all recycling materials: no separation is required. All recycling must be clean.

·       Plastic: plastic jug, bottle, dish containers with recycle emblem #1-7.

·       Glass: clear, brown, blue, green bottles and jars, food and beverage only.

·       Metal: tin and aluminum food and beverage cans, labels removed.

·       Cardboard: corrugated and chipboard cardboard.

·       Paper: newspaper, magazines, phonebooks, junk mail, computer paper, envelopes, books.

·       Non-recyclable items: styrofoam, plastic bags, toys, broken glass, window or mirror glass, tissue paper, wax paper, wrapping paper, paper plates, hangers, bubble wrap, toxic oil containers, soiled/dirty items.


Yard Waste & Curbside Compost:

·       Purchase Johnson County Refuse yard waste bags ($8.25 for 5 bags) at Fareway Grocery off of Mormon Trek. 

·       You may place 1 free branch bundle at the curb per week: bundles must be tied with twine, and be no more than 3 feet long and 36 inches around.

·       You may take yard waste to the Iowa City Landfill at no charge.

·       Curbside compost requires a 35-gallon cart from Johnson County Refuse (available for a $25 deposit) and a Johnson County Refuse yard waste bag.


Appliances and Large Items: call Johnson County Refuse, 319-665-4498.


Christmas Tree Pick Up: 2020 dates TBD; paid by city.


Leaf Vacuuming: 2019 dates TBD; paid by city.


Hazardous Waste/Materials: Never dispose of hazardous materials in the garbage, sink, toilet, storm drains, or community waterways. Take hazardous materials to the Hazardous Waste Collection Facility at the Iowa City Landfill, 3900 Hebl Avenue (off Melrose Avenue about 2 miles west of Iowa City). There’s no charge, but you need an appointment: call 319-356-5185.


Prescription drug/medication disposal: Use the drop box in the Community Center hall across from the UHPD (medications only, no sharps).