Garbage, Recycling, Yard Waste, Compost is picked up Tuesday mornings by:

Johnson County Refuse Inc., Steve & Kandy Smith, owners

PO Box 200, North Liberty, IA 52317

phone: 319-665-4498; mobile phone: 319-330-1726

·       Place containers at the curb between 3pm Monday and 6:30am Tuesday; remove containers from the curb by the end of the day on Tuesday.

·       Use containers with fly-tight lids to reduce rodent/animal issues and spillage.

·       If your garbage/recycling spills or blows around your neighborhood, please clean it up immediately.

·       Garbage stickers and yard waste bags for University Heights are sold at Fareway off Mormon Trek.

Garbage: use yellow Johnson County Refuse garbage stickers ($6.25/sheet of 5)

·       1 sticker for a 20 gallon can; 2 stickers for a 21-35 gallon can or for bags; 40 pound limit

·       to purchase a yearly sticker, call 319-665-4498

Recycling: all recyclables must be clean; use recycling bins; may be co-mingled

·       Plastic: plastic jug, bottle, dish containers with recycle emblem #1-7

·       Glass: clear, brown, blue, green bottles and jars, food & beverage only

·       Metal: tin and aluminum food and beverage cans, labels removed

·       Cardboard: corrugated and chipboard cardboard, flattened, cut into 2’ x 2’ pieces

·       Paper: newspaper, magazines, phonebooks, junk mail, computer paper, envelopes, books

·       Non-recyclable items: styrofoam, plastic bags, toys, broken glass, window or mirror glass, tissue paper, wax paper, wrapping paper, paper plates, hangers, bubble wrap, toxic oil containers, soiled/dirty items, cardboard that hasn’t been broken down

Yard Waste & Curbside Compost: use Johnson County Refuse yard waste bags ($6.25/pack of 5)

·       curbside compost requires a special 35 gallon cart (available from Johnson County Refuse with a $25 deposit) and a Johnson County Refuse yard waste bag

·       1 free branch bundle per week: no more than 3 feet long and 36 inches around

·       You may take yard waste to the Iowa City Landfill at no charge.

Bulky Rubbish: call Johnson County Refuse, 319-665-4498

Christmas Tree Pick Up: dates TBD

Leaf Pick Up: TBD

Hazardous Waste/Materials must be taken to the Hazardous Waste Collection Facility at the Iowa City Landfill, 3900 Hebl Avenue (off Melrose Avenue about 2 miles west of Iowa City). No charge, but you do need an appointment. Call 319-356-5185. Never dispose of hazardous materials in the garbage, sink, toilet, storm drains, or community waterways.

Prescription drugs/medications can be safely disposed of in the drop box located in the Community Center at the south entrance. Medication only, no sharps.