Information for Residents


Gas and electric service, gas leak, power outage: MidAmerican Energy 888-427-5632


Water and sewer service: Iowa City Revenue Utilities 319-356-5066


Water or sewer emergencies: Iowa City Water Division; water, 319-356-5166; sewer, 319-356-5177


Storm sewer drain problems: Iowa City Streets Division, 319-356-5181


Garbage, recycling, yard waste: Johnson County Refuse, 319-665-4498, UH information


Fire Department: Iowa City Fire Department, 319-356-5260; emergency: 911


Driver's licenses: Iowa Department of Transportation, 319-338-5294, Eastdale Plaza, 1700 First Avenue


Vehicle registration, license plates: Motor Vehicle Department, 319-356-6091, Johnson County Administration Building, 913 S. Dubuque Street


Voter registration: Johnson County Auditor, 319-356-6004, Johnson County Administration Building, 913 S. Dubuque Street


Animal shelter: Iowa City Animal Care and Adoption Center, 319-356-5295, 3910 Napoleon Lane


Library: Iowa City Public Library, 319-356-5200, 123 S. Linn St.; Coralville Public Library, 1401 5th St., 319-248-1850


Post office: Coralville New Post Office, 2150 James Street, Coralville, 319-337-8881


Bus service, schedules, fares: Iowa City Transit, 319-356-5151


Paratransit: Johnson County SEATS, 319-339-6128; for senior citizens, people with disabilities, others who find it difficult to conduct daily transactions


Parks and recreationJohnson County Public Use Areas, Iowa City Parks & Recreation Department,  Coralville Recreation Department


Public schools: Iowa City Community School District, 319-688-1000; call to find your resident school. Elementary K-6: Ernest Horn Elementary (University Heights) or Norman Borlaug Elementary (Coralville) depending on your address; Northwest Junior High School (Coralville); West High School (Iowa City)


Airports: Eastern Iowa Airport (CID) Cedar Rapids (scheduled airline service); Iowa City Regional Airport (charter services, private planes)


Utility locationIowa One Call, 811 or 800-292-8989; call before digging (required by Iowa law) to have utilities marked free of charge