City of University Heights, Iowa
University Heights City Hall | 1004 Melrose Avenue, University Heights (Iowa City) 52246 | 319-337-6900
|University Heights Panels from Johnson Co. Historical Society||MELROSE BRIDGE CONSTRUCTION 1934||Go to PEOPLE|
|Nate Moore Bldg. Construction 1947||UH 2nd Addition Building 1928-50||Go to History Detective|
|At the April 13, 2010 City Council meeting Rex Branstetter, from the Johnson County Historical Society presented Mayor Louise From with two 2x3' panels commemorating University Heights History. The panels will be displayed at the University Heights City Hall, 1004 Melrose Ave. Click on either panel to be taken to a separate page showing them in higher resolution.|
Photo taken by Fred Kent entitled "Koser addition, Iowa City, Iowa, Nov. 15, 1929."
The road running across the picture horizontally is Golfview Ave.
Photo taken from newly constructed Iowa Stadium (Kinnick Stadium)
Click on the image at right for a larger version. Click on that larger version to get an even bigger image.
Digital image courtesy of
The Frederick W. Kent Collection of Photographs, The University of Iowa Libraries, Iowa City, Iowa
"I stopped on the
-Bess Fox, 1947
|Click on any image to see larger version|
Click on an image
|A note on the photo on the right, above: sharp eyed reader, Del Richard, wondered if the photo isn't reversed, and is a shot of the EASTERN side of the railroad embankment (current Hawkeye Express train site). Since the picture is a scan of an original snapshot, the negative may have been reversed. Does anyone know if there ever were steps on the WESTERN side of the railroad tracks? Here is the reversed image: (click on the picture to enlarge it)|
|315 Golfview under construction, 1928||
11 Glencrest under construction, 1948?
|26 Prospect under construction, 1949?|
|310 Golfview under construction, Sept. 1, 1949||
310 Golfview under construction, Oct. 1, 1949
|310 Golfview under construction, Nov. 1, 1949|
|(Right) 205 Golfview,
home of the Garvy family circa 1950
|Read Andy Garvy's reminisces about growing up in University Heights|
Image on the left is the view from Golfview Ave. in 1928. The camera is facing East. The two buildings in the distance are University Hospital (left) and the Fieldhouse (right). At this time Finkbine golf course was located west of these two buildings. Kinnick Stadium was built the next year, in 1929.
Image on the right is 305 and 315 Golfview taken in 1929. 305 was built by Lee Koser, real estate developer and first mayor of University Heights.
|Click on any image to see larger version||Image at left is from Golfview facing Southeast, Iowa Stadium (Kinnick) 1934|
If you have any photos or memorabelia from the past 75 years in University Heights we would like to scan it and put it on the UH website.
email@example.com, city historian