Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
The driving force behind the creation of University Heights was Lee Koser, a realtor who worked with his brother George as the Koser Brothers.
Lee Koser resided in two houses that he built in University Heights. He lived in the house at 100 Koser Avenue (1926) before moving to his storybook-style house at 305 Golfview Avenue (1928), which he described as one of the most unusual houses in Iowa.
The City of University Heights was incorporated on August 13, 1935, and Lee Koser was overwhelmingly voted in as mayor. His Golfview Avenue garage served as the original location for City Hall, but with the onset of Iowa winter, City Hall was relocated to his basement.
Mr. Koser remained in University Heights until his death in 1949.
Photos are Lee Koser’s house in 1929, shortly after it was built.