- How Do I...
- Swisher Woods
Cleanup and Trail Marking on Swisher, 2020
- In May, volunteers refreshed the pink flags along the trails in Swisher Woods. Entrances are at North Sunset and Glencrest. Sunset has a 1/10 mile loop with a connector to Glencrest. If you continue all the way to Glencrest, it is nearly 1/2 mile. The Sunset loop is flat. The Glencrest piece is more challenging: it goes down a gradual incline, wanders through the bottom, then meanders back up.
- On April 22, heavy, dilapidated lampposts dumped long ago on the Swisher Tract were removed by Jim Glasgow and Greg Stiltner at no expense to the City.
- Also in April, community volunteers began pulling invasive garlic mustard while maintaining proper distancing.
Tree Risk Mitigation Project Completed in 2020
Proposal for Tree Risk Mitigation on the Swisher Tract, Fall 2019 (PDF) The goal of this project was to improve the safety of the area by felling or removing trees that were dead or deemed dangerous by the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) district forester.
Conditions on Swisher
- The Map of Existing Conditions on Swisher Tract (PDF) shows streams, sensitive slopes, and buffers.
- The Soil Report for University Heights Woodland Property (PDF) outlines optimal trail placement to prevent erosion. Prepared by Joe Dixon, District Conservationist, USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service, for the City Council, November 30, 2018.
- The Forest Stewardship Plan and Forest Health Evaluation (PDF) was prepared by Iowa DNR Forester Mark Vitosh for the City Council, August 30, 2018.
- March 12, 2019, Revised Schedule. $555,000 GO Bond, Series 2018 (PDF)
- June 19, 2018, Council votes to approve borrowing $555,000 for the acquisition of Swisher Tract and associated costs. 2018 University Heights GO $555k 10 years with 50 cent levy (PDF)
- May 1, 2018, City-wide special election. 2018 University Heights GO $1.8m 10 years with 50 cent levy (PDF)
Purchase of Swisher
On June 14, 2018, the City of University Heights purchased the Swisher Tract at public auction for $480,000.
May 1, 2018 University Heights Special Election Bond Issue
- 184 Voters: 24.4% turnout
- Yes - 139 - 76% (60% required)
- No - 45 - 24%
"Shall the City of University Heights, in Johnson County, State of Iowa, enter into a loan agreement and issue its bonds in an amount not exceeding the amount of $1,800,000 for the purpose of paying the cost, to that extent, of acquiring and developing land for use as a municipal park and green space to protect air quality, water quality in streams, natural areas and wildlife habitat?"